G. R. Jackson

back  G. R. Jackson & Co., 87-89 Leonard St., New York, 2009  next

G. R. Jackson & Co.
Centre St. N. Y.

This advertisement for George R. Jackson's Excelsior Iron Works appeared in the New York Times in 1859. The ad specifies, "Established 1839." This dates seems accurate: an entry "Jackson George R. smith, 201 Centre h. 82 Varick" appeared in Longworth's New York City Directory for the year 1839.

George R. Jackson (1811-1870) received the following obituary in the New York Times, 25 Sep. 1870, p. 5, "George R. Jackson, the senior member of the firm of George R. Jackson, Burnett [sic] & Co., iron-founders, of this City, expired on Thursday, after a painful illness of several months, at his residence, No. 85 East Tenth-street. Mr. Jackson was born in the City of New-York, June 4, 1811, and was consequently fifty-nine years and six months old. Losing his father when he was very young, and his mother having six children (four girls and two boys) to bring up with the resources of her own and her children's labor, the subject of this notice was apprenticed at a very early age to a person engaged in the finishing or whitesmithing business, and after passing through the various grades of apprentice, journeyman and foreman, he began business in Centre-street on his own account in 1839. Shortly afterward Mr. Cornell became associated with him, under the firm name of Cornell & Jackson, which was continued until 1846, when Mr. Cornell died. Mr. Jackson then associated with him Mr. L. Taylor (since died) and Mr. James J. Burnett [sic], and founded the Excelsior Iron Works. Recently two of Mr. Jackson's sons, a nephew and one son of Mr. Burnett's [sic] were admitted as partners under the firm name of George R. Jackson, Burnett [sic] & Co..."

The "Mr. Cornell" mentioned in the obituary was George Cornell (1807-1847). Information on his partnership with Samuel B. Althause is found on the Althause page. George Cornell was the elder brother of John B. Cornell and William W. Cornell, who formed the firm, J. B. & W. W. Cornell, one of the best known of all New York City iron foundries. Information on J. B. & W. W. Cornell is found on the Cornell page. Cornell & Jackson, at 199 Centre St. from 1842 to 1847, was succeeded by George R. Jackson & Co. at "199 and 201 Centre street above Canal street" (Doggett's New York City Directory, 1848-49).

From approximately 1850 until his death in 1870, George R. Jackson was in partnership with James J. Burnet. For more on Burnet and this partnership see the Burnet, Jackson & Co. vault lights page.

Burnet, Jackson & Co. were in business from 1871 to 1875. Then the Excelsior Iron Works at 201 Centre St. became George R. Jackson's Sons. Proprietors at Excelsior Iron Works approximately 1875 to 1881 were two of George R. Jackson's sons, George H. Jackson (ca.1841-1879) and Jonathan (aka John) B. Jackson (ca.1843-?). George R. Jackson's Sons disappeared from directory listings after 1882.

Foundry marks for G. R. Jackson, Burnet & Co. are found at:

G. R. Jackson, Burnet
105 Franklin St.
G. R. Jackson, Burnet
34 Walker St.
G. R. Jackson, Burnet
47 Walker St.
G. R. Jackson, Burnet
827-831 Broadway

Other marks for Excelsior Iron Works are found at:

Excelsior Iron Works
477 Broome St.
Excelsior Iron Works
147 Spring St.
Excelsior Iron Works
28 Mercer St.
Excelsior Iron Works
425 Broadway

home | about me | list of images | see what's new

Copyright (c) 2010 Walter Grutchfield